SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Applicant must be a resident of the Greater Hampton Roads area and/or enrolled in an accredited
program in the Greater Hampton Roads area.
2. Applicant must be enrolled in an accredited health information management, health information
technology, or health information management-related program.
3. Applicant must demonstrate completion of at least one semester of course work in an accredited
health information management, health information technology, or health information management-
related program. There is no minimum hourly course load requirement.
4. Applicant must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0).
All Applications Must Include: If any of the documents below is not included with the application
packet, the application will not be considered for review.
Completed Scholarship Application Form
2. Official Transcripts. Official transcripts from each applicant’s current college/university.
Application cannot be considered for award without the official transcripts. The applicant can
include transcript(s) in the application packet as long as each transcript has been placed in a
sealed envelope and the school/college official has signed across the envelope seal. If the
applicant prefers, the college/institution can mail transcripts directly to the address provided
below for inclusion with his/her application.
3. Copy of AHIMA Registration Certificate. If an applicant has already achieved AHIMA
credentials and/or certification, a copy of the applicant’s registration certificate must be
submitted in order for the application packet to be considered complete.
4. Letter of Reference. The Letter of Reference must be from a professor, instructor, faculty
advisor, or HIM professional associate who can provide information about the applicant’s history,
academic performance, technical skills, communication skills, leadership ability, and
professionalism, including strengths and opportunities for improvement in any of the
5. Resume. The Resume must include educational history, professional certifications, work
experience, national, state and local professional association memberships and/or involvement,
community service/volunteer activities, honors or awards received.
6. Essay. The applicant must submit a formal essay, length between 500 and 1000 words,
describing why he/she has chosen a career in health information, what his/her
professional/career goals are, how he/she feels his/her skills and interests can contribute to the
HIM profession, and how he/she will use the scholarship award if selected.
Mailing Your Application
1. Application must be mailed Certified Mail, Return Receipt and post marked no later than September
2. Mail application to: Mary Beth Dunlap, RHIT, CCS
357 Wood Duck Lane
Newport News, VA 23602
3. Application should be mailed in its entirety. Transcripts may be sent under separate mailing but
must be received no later than September 30, 2017.
5. All applicants will be notified of their status no later than October 28, 2017.
6. Verification of receipt of each application will be sent via postal mail. It is not necessary to verify the
status or receipt of your application.